Data Scientist - Neurodegenerative Disease
Octave Bioscience is developing a suite of novel measurement tools that feed into structured analytical data models aimed at improving care management decisions to create better patient outcomes at lower costs. We are focusing our efforts on neurodegenerative disease, starting with multiple sclerosis (MS), to bring direct, positive impact to people’s lives. We are delighted to be expanding our work to Parkinson’s Disease (PD) as the next neurodegenerative disease to tackle.
As a team, we constantly learn together and seek new solutions, operating in areas that are unknown. We share a common mission and build our flywheel from the diverse backgrounds of our collaborators.
To develop our quantitative capabilities, we are seeking a data scientist to help deliver solutions across very diverse data sets. We are seeking a candidate with strong expertise in bioinformatics, data analytics, and machine learning/artificial intelligence capabilities. The data scientist will be primarily responsible for providing recommendations and delivering actionable insights in our proteomic biomarker program. The ideal candidate should have a strong statistical and machine learning background (with experience in applications to biology), as well as good collaboration, documentation and communication skills. Our mission requires constant iteration of the company’s approach to both biology and data science as well as passion to work in a regulated healthcare environment.
● Accountable for the development of data analytics tools, predictive models, and emergent insight capabilities that make use of complementary and complex data sets.
● Use software tools to build algorithms and models, and draw actionable insights from large data sets.
● Build predictive models across multiple areas of interest with a strong emphasis on biology of neurodegenerative diseases.
● Experience with analysis of large scale proteomic and/or genomic data sets
● Experience with supervised and unsupervised machine learning approaches, including but not limited to classification, regression, clustering, and other forms of anomaly detection/pattern recognition
● Direct experience with coding in Python or R
● Comfortable dealing with dimensionality reduction, cross validation, and augmentation of small datasets under uncertainty
● Experience in using warehousing, data lake and big data tools (e. g., S3, Apache Spark, BigQuery, Hadoop)
● Experience interpreting biological statistics and translating them to clear relationships of clinical outcomes for clinical and business stakeholders
● Self-driven and intellectually curious to solve challenging problems
● Collaborate with multiple teams (internally and externally)
● Strong team player willing to learn new platforms and tools
● Experience with Databricks
● Experience in modeling biochemical networks, especially at the cellular and protein level
● Preparation and presentation of journal manuscripts, research papers, posters, at scientific and academic conferences
● Familiarity with brain neurophysiology and modeling mammalian cells like neurons
● Familiarity with neurodegenerative disease pathophysiology, specifically Parkinson's
● Experience in artificial neural networks (including convolutional) methodologies and technologies (Spark, TensorFlow, Keras, etc)
● Experience in visualization tools (e.g., Candela, Periscope, Spark, D3, Google Chart, ggplot, Tableau)
● Master of Science in Computer Science, Biology or in a related science, technology, engineering, or pure/applied math discipline
● Experience and passion to work in a fast-paced agile engineering environment and start-up
● Dedication and perseverance to find insights and data-driven predictive solutions
● A background in computational and/or systems biology
● Experience working in the life science industry - therapeutic development, diagnostics, companion diagnostics
● PhD in Computer Science or in STEM Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
● Direct experience with compliance to ISO 13485, 62304, 27000, GDPR, HIPAA, CLIA, FDA 510K, SaaMD, 21 CFR part 11, or other industry related regulations/standards.
Octave offers a balanced and flexible working environment. Our offices are located in Menlo Park, surrounded by life science innovators (e.g. Grail) and tech innovators (e.g Meta). Our space is newly built to our specifications: open, with an old factory vibe, and is well-appointed, with free drinks and snacks. We offer a choice of health, dental, and vision plans. World class gym 100 feet away with a pool. Close to many commute options, including a free shuttle service with many convenient routes. We also offer lunch once a week at the office that you can pre-select from a large menu.
At Octave, we believe in providing exceptional compensation packages for exceptional work. We are intentional about benchmarking our compensation against current market rates, and providing continued opportunity for advancement within the organization.
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for any applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Octave, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $150,000 to $200,000 per year.
You may also be eligible to participate in a discretionary annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing the program, whereby an award, if any, depends on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and organizational performance. Please note that the compensation details listed in posting reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Applicants and employees are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.