Senior Data Engineer
Do you want the opportunity to leverage your skills to make a direct impact on the world’s leading life sciences, consumer products, and retail companies? Join Clarkston Consulting as a Senior Data Engineer to help deliver creative business solutions to our market-leading clients as a part of our team of experienced professionals.
We are looking for motivated, self-driven leaders who are energized by team results and interested in joining a firm that values its culture and people as its biggest strengths. Together, we can help find the answers to our clients most challenging business problems.
What You’ll Do
Clarkston gives you the opportunity to deliver great solutions, become recognized as an industry expert, and help build a great practice.
The Senior Data Engineer will help support our clients by serving in a lead capacity on client initiatives, mentoring more junior data engineers in Clarkston’s analytics team, assisting in defining client solutions, and support managing the delivery of those solutions.
As a Senior Data Engineer at Clarkston, you will also:
- Support our solution architects, software developers, data analysts and data scientists on data and analytics initiatives
- Ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects
- Be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products
- Be excited by the prospect of building our company’s data engineering capabilities to support our next generation of products and data initiatives
- Lead, grow, and mentor a data engineering team in developing, maintaining, and monitoring data solutions for clients
How You’ll Grow
At Clarkston, we feel that we provide the greatest value to our clients through a combination of our industry expertise, business process knowledge, and consulting excellence.
Beyond your day-to-day responsibilities, throughout your career at Clarkston you will:
- Have the support and mentorship of your Clarkston colleagues and leaders
- Own your career – you'll be able to take charge of your career journey with diverse opportunities to lead and expand your skillset both at the client site and within the firm
- Have the opportunity to make a real and positive impact not only the clients you work with, but on the firm as well
What We’re Looking For:
An ideal Senior Data Engineer candidate would have experience:
- Assembling large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements
- Identifying, designing, and implementing internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Leveraging the appropriate infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and ‘big data’ technologies.
- Building analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics
- Working with stakeholders including the Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- 3+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Experience with big data tools including Databricks, Spark, Snowflake, Airflow, and Kafka
- Experience with Azure or AWS cloud services
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages such as Scala, Python, Java, and / or C++
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or an equivalent field
Travel is an integral part of this role and is estimated to average 20-30%. This may vary based upon client and project needs. When not traveling, consultants work from their home office. Relocation is not required.
More About Clarkston
Founded in 1991, Clarkston Consulting delivers technology and management solutions to market leaders in the life sciences, consumer products, and retail industries. At Clarkston, we cultivate success - for our clients, for our people, and for our firm. We utilize a team approach leveraging our collective expertise and industry knowledge to solve our clients’ business challenges.
Our benefits include:
- Comprehensive Health and Wellness Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, and more)
- 401k with company contributions
- Paid vacation, personal days, holidays, and sick leave
- Paid Parental Leave and Family Building Benefits (Adoption, Surrogacy, and Infertility Support)
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Training and Professional Development investments, Tuition Assistance, and more
Visit Careers at Clarkston to learn more about our culture, benefits, and opportunities.
Clarkston Consulting is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to ensuring our firm is rich in diverse skills, competencies, strengths, personalities, and culture. We foster an inclusive environment that embraces the unique contributions of our people to further our purpose. Please visit Diversity @ Clarkston to learn more about our diversity initiatives.