Data Engineering Tech Lead - (Remote - US)
Mediavine is seeking a Data Engineering Tech Lead to join our Data & Analytics team. We are looking for someone with a deep understanding of the modern data stack who will help organize the work and lead projects on the Data & Analytics team. Applicants must be based in the United States.
Mediavine is a fast-growing advertising management company representing over 10,000 websites in the food, lifestyle, DIY, and entertainment space. Founded by content creators, for content creators, Mediavine is a Top 20 Comscore property, exclusively reaching over 125 million monthly unique visitors. With best-in-class technology and a commitment to traffic quality and brand safety, we ensure optimal performance for our creators.
Mission & Culture
We help content creators build sustainable businesses. From educational tools and cutting-edge plugins to ad technology that maximizes earnings without slowing down your site, our motivation is ensuring your brand and business grow in every respect.
We are striving to build an inclusive and diverse team of highly talented individuals that reflects the industries we serve and the world we live in. We are committed to creating a culture where everyone feels welcomed. We are looking for individuals that will challenge us to continuously evolve and make Mediavine the employer of choice for people of all backgrounds. We strongly encourage minorities and individuals from underrepresented groups in technology to apply for this position.
Diversity and inclusion aren't platitudes to us; we take them seriously.
About the Data & Analytics Team
The Data & Analytics team consists of data analysts, data engineers and analytics engineers working to build the most effective platform and tools to help uncover opportunities, build data products and make decisions with data here at Mediavine. We partner with Product, Support, Marketing, Revenue departments and other teams within the Engineering department to understand behavior, develop accurate predictors and build solutions that provide the best internal and external experience possible.
Position Title & Overview:
The data engineering team here at Mediavine is growing and increasing in our ability to facilitate the business and branching into our own ventures. Along with that growth we are looking for someone with a technical data engineering background to organize our backend development work and set the bar high for all of our data engineers.
The tech lead for data engineering will work with our project manager to define cards, assign points and manage due dates in JIRA. They will be the main point of contact for questions around data back end work for other teams. They will be involved in staffing discussions and leading technical recruitment for new data engineers and analytic engineers.
The tech lead will establish and uphold the team's standards, ensuring the adoption and reinforcement of industry-leading best practices. In addition to their leadership responsibilities, they will actively contribute to projects through hands-on coding and collaboration.
- Run grooming sessions, daily stand-ups, sprint prep and other sprint-related ceremonies
- Provide code reviews for teammates
- Set our analysts up for success with well-groomed and detailed cards
- Working to unblock our analysts as necessary
- Communicate with Product, Engineering Managers, and stakeholders to understand context and the bigger picture
- Set clear standards and expectations for our reporting and analysis
- Help the analysts understand how their work contributes to the business goals
- Help define the vision and roadmap for data engineering and develop the future architecture, systems and processes
- Collaborate with senior leadership on the implementation of key projects and initiatives
- Act as a technical point of contact for data engineering questions
- Proactively communicate challenges, roadblocks and timelines to engineering management and stakeholders
- Conduct technical interviews for future openings on the team
- Produce high quality code that can be used as the standard for other developers
- Applicants must be based in the United States
- Deadline for internal applicants to apply is 11/23/23
- 7+ years of experience in a data engineering role
- 5+ years of experience working in Agile methodology
- Extremely strong Python skills
- Extremely strong SQL skills
- Experience working with cloud data warehouses at scale
- Experience with dimensional database design
- Containerization experience (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
Nice to haves:
- Experience building data products
- Knowledge of Ad Tech, Google Ad Manager, SSPs, etc.
- The ability to make your teammates laugh
- Experience with dbt
- Experience with one or more major BI tools
- Remote work environment
- Travel opportunities
- Comprehensive benefits including 401k, Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Learning allowance
- Generous Vacation/Time off policies
- Additional side benefits such as home-office upgrades, tuition reimbursement, paid gym memberships and wellness retreats, upgraded flights, cool swag and more
- Company match charitable donations
Mediavine is an Equal Opportunity Employer