Community Programs Predictive Data Analyst 11.14.23
Founded in 2004, Brilliant Corners provides innovative housing and housing-related services to California’s most vulnerable individuals, with an emphasis on those transitioning from, or at risk of, homelessness or institutionalization. We develop, own, and manage multi-family supportive housing and licensed residential care homes. We implement a broad array of scattered-site, one-on-one supportive housing, and clinical case management programs through partnerships with developmental services, homeless services, veterans’ services, and health care sectors.
In short, we do good work.
We have offices throughout California, currently have almost 500 staff members, and are growing daily. We’re looking for inspired, talented people who want to be part of a team that’s affecting profound change and is having fun doing it.
This Data Analyst role will be contracted with DHS as part of our partnership in the Housing for Health program.
Housing for Health was founded in 2012 to provide housing and services to patients who frequented County public hospitals and were homeless. The program has grown to now provide a full continuum of services to clients, from street outreach to interim housing to permanent housing, with case management, benefits advocacy, and clinical services layered across all service categories. Housing for Health maintains its core ethos and founding principles of improving the health and quality of life of the most vulnerable homeless individuals in L.A. County. Community Programs is a program office within Health Services Administration, a division under the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS). In addition to other responsibilities, this position will have a supportive role in the tracking, reporting, quality assurance, and billing efforts for CalAIM, a Medi-Cal waiver program.
Reporting and Analysis
- Assists department stakeholders to define data needs and requirements to ensure data science projects meet business needs at the community, regional, divisional, departmental, or county-wide level
- Uses statistical programming languages and packages, computer scripting languages, and/or domain-specific languages to digest, manipulate, prepare, augment, evaluate, analyze, summarize, and visualize data
- Conducts end-to-end predictive data modeling projects that include basic exploratory data analysis, feature engineering, model selection, deployment of models into production environments, and visualization of findings
- Performs data management and manipulation, including the writing of data queries of departmental databases and data marts, data cleaning, and joining of multiple and disparate data sets
- Extracts and organizes data and applies quality-control techniques to ensure the accuracy and completeness of all data; researches source documents and coordinates with others to resolve missing or conflicting data and other anomalies
- Ensures regular reporting occurs within specified deadlines
- Regularly creates deliverables for special projects and assignments, such as ad-hoc department reporting and program analyses
- Creates documentation for the processes and procedures used for reporting and analyses
Tool Development and Maintenance
- Collaborates with other department subject matter experts to understand, identify, and select available and relevant sources of data for use cases, including internal and external data sources
- Helps refine program management practices through the creation of new reporting and analytical tools
- Helps to design, build, and maintain analytical support tools to be used within the Department of Health Services, by housing and service providers, and by other external stakeholders
- Collaborates with data administrators and other IT staff to develop data pipelines and ensure the availability of quality data
- Convenes and facilitates discussions with stakeholders to design and implement tools and reports
- Manages the design, development, implementation and maintenance of reports, dashboards and analysis tools
Program and Provider Support
- Works with program staff to understand the implications of analyses and to ensure that findings are actionable and support data-driven program, policy, and operational decision- making.
- Assists in coordinating with various functional teams to develop and implement products, services, tools, or business process changes resulting from the analysis.
- Provides regular analyses of the impact of changes in management practices and policies
- Designs program reports, analyzes performance, and provides resulting analyses to stakeholders
The ideal candidate has experience working directly with a client-centric relational database and with managing individuals. They have strong technical knowledge and are comfortable doing analyses and building reports out of a SQL database. They are comfortable with a variety of analytical tools and have taken the lead on projects where the best path forward is unclear. They have a customer service mindset. They have a passion for social services and an interest in looking beyond the data.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a field of applied research such as Data Science, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Statistics, Business Analytics, Psychology, or Public Health that included 12 semester or 18 quarter units of coursework in data science, predictive analytics, quantitative research methods, or statistical analysis
Two (2) years of experience in the application of techniques of machine learning, predictive analytics, data management, and hypothesis-driven data analysis to complex experimental designs leading to actionable findings and recommendations
A Master’s or Doctoral degree from an accredited college or university in a field of applied research such as Data Science, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Statistics, Business Analytics, Psychology, or Public Health.
Four (4) years of experience with responsibility for planning, designing, conducting, and evaluating research projects involving the application of techniques of machine learning, predictive analytics, data management, and/or hypothesis-driven data analysis to complex experimental designs leading to actionable findings and recommendations.
Hybrid. Currently 1 day per month required in-office (Downton Los Angeles), may eventually increase up to 1 day per week max.
Otherwise Remote Work with a set schedule.
This contracted position will terminate after 24 months.
Job Title: Community Programs Predictive Data Analyst
Program Name & #: DHS Housing for Health
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Position Status: Full Time Non-Exempt Salaried
Travel Required: (0%)
Reports to: Policy & Planning Associate Director
Salary: $6994 - $9425/mo ($40.35 - $54.38 hourly)
Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
Short Term & Long Term Disability
Training & Development
Work From Home